Everybody loves pancakes. In fact, scientists have proven that people who hate pancakes have no souls. Ok, I’m kidding. Anyway, for the pancake lovers,here’s a super easy recipe on how to make kick-ass pancakes
– 1 Cup Self Raising Flour ( or 1 cup All-purpose flour with ½ a teaspoon of baking powder)
– 1 ½ Cup of milk (replace with water if you’re lactose intolerant…or poor)
– 4 Tablespoons of sugar (or more if you fancy diabetes)
– ½ Teaspoon of salt
– 1 or 2 eggs
– 1 Tablespoon grated lemon rind
– 1 Tablespoon ground cardamom (or cinnamon)
– Raisins/sultanas (chopped) or a mixture of cashews, macadamia and peanuts (chopped)
– Cooking oil as required
– Cold fresh bananas or any available fruit for garnishing
1. Pour the all your dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, ground cardamom) into a large bowl and mix thoroughly
2. Beat the eggs and some milk in a separate bowl and whisk until frothy. Make a well at the centre of your flour mixture and pour in the beaten eggs. Fold the eggs mixture into the flour gently
3. Pour the remaining milk in small portions as you continue whisking to avoid formation of lumps until the desired consistency has been achieved
4. For light fluffy pancakes, you need a thinner batter; for heavier ones, the batter mixture has to be thicker
5. Once your batter is ready, add in the lemon rind, raisins/sultanas or nuts and give the batter a good mixing
6. Heat your skillet or non-stick pan on medium heat and spread some cooking oil
7. Once it’s hot enough, pour in a portion of batter depending on the size of pancakes you want. (This is where your natural measurements instincts come in handy) Don’t freak out if the first pancake is a complete disaster, it happens to the best of us.
8. Once you see some bubbles forming on the top surface of the pancake it’s time to flip it over.
9. Cook side B for about 40-60 seconds and voila! Your pancake is done. Remove from the pan and place it on a serving dish/plate covered with paper towels.
10. Repeat the process for the remaining batter
Once ready, serve the pancakes warm preferably warm with maple/pancake syrup (or chocolate sauce or any other thing you fancy) Garnish with a banana or any other fresh fruit of your choice.