Chickpeas are my favorite legumes because they’re not only delicious, but also healthy and filling. I wrote down my simple recipe on how to make Coconut Chickpea Curry. This is particularly ideal for those who’re trying to go vegan or vegetarian and are looking for protein alternatives.
- 1 Cup Chickpeas; boiled and drained
- 1 Onion; diced
- 2 Tablespoons of Tomato Paste or 3 fresh tomatoes blended
- 4 Tablespoons Coconut Cream (Kara); use coconut milk
- 1 Green Bell Pepper; diced
- Fresh Coriander, finely chopped
- 1 Teaspoon; garlic and ginger paste
- 1 Teaspoon Chicken Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- ½ Tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Dried Chillies
- 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- Salt to taste
- Heat Cooking Oil in a pam; add in Onions and Garlic-Ginger paste. Saute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add in the diced Green Pepper and dried Chilli then stir for about 40 seconds.
- Now add in the tomato paste/ blended tomatoes; dilute with about 5 tablespoons of water.
- Add coconut cream to the tomato mixture, followed by the dried spices and salt. Cover and simmer for 1 Minute.
- Add the Boiled Chickpeas and mix it into the coconut and tomato base. Add about ½ a cup of water and some more coconut cream then simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes. It may take longer or a shorter depending on how thick you want the curry to be.
- Add the finely chopped Corriander to the curry and serve.
Best served with Cumin Rice, Chapati or Nan. I had mine with Cumin Rice
*This recipe is 100% Vegan.